13 Jan Relicensure for Therapists in 2022
Posted at 17:25h in All Blog Posts, News, Resilience, Resources 0 Comments
Therapists, don’t forget that relicensure is just around the corner in September 2022!
According to the Georgia Secretary of State’s Office rules of Continuing Education Chapter 135-9, social workers, professional counselors, and marriage and family therapists will need to acquire 35 total hours through continuing education before Friday, September 30, 2022. Five hours will need to be considered ethics hours and 30 hours will need to be core hours.
Helpful Tips and Tricks:
- When looking for a training, workshop, or seminar make sure that the training has ‘Core’ or ‘Ethics’ hours attached to it. An example could be, “6 Core Hours.”
- There are 3 national boards that approve CEUs:
- National Board of Certified Counselors (NBCC) – the national body for professional counselors
- National Association for Social Workers (NASW) – a national accrediting body for social workers
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) – a national accrediting body for social workers
- Unfortunately, there is no national accrediting body for marriage and family therapists, but many state boards accept other states with similar rules and regulations.
- Keep an eye out for which discipline the core hours are attached to. If you are a social worker and the core hours are for professional counselors, this would be considered ‘Related’ hours. This works for the other disciplines as well.
- Related hours fall under the following boards: professional counseling, social work, marriage and family therapy or the allied professions for psychiatry, psychiatric nursing, psychology or allied health specialties.
- All disciplines are allowed to have up to 15 of their ‘Core’ hours be ‘Related.’ This can be a good way to collect trainings and workshops that you may want to take.
- Up to 10 hours can be ‘Asynchronous’ (pre-recorded), which means that the remaining 25 hours need to make up of ‘Synchronous’ (in-person, live or virtual). Asynchronous typically cost less and are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Social workers, professional counselors, and marriage and family therapists must acquire 35 total hours through continuing education before Friday, September 30, 2022.
- 5 Ethics Hours
- 30 Core Hours
- 10 Can be Asynchronous (pre-recorded)
- 15 Can be Related
- 5 Core Synchronous (in-person, live or virtual)
The CHRIS Training Institute has a variety of course offerings that can help you meet your continuing education goals for relicensure. To view available courses, visit our course catalog
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.